IT Project DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
1. What are the trade-offs between cost, quality, and time when designing a project plan? What criteria should managers use to manage this trade-off?
2. Why does it often take a long time before troubled projects are abandoned or brought under control?
3. What are the critical success factors for a project manager? What skills should managers look for when hiring someone who would be successful in this job?
4. What determines the level of technical risk associated with a project? What determines the level of organizational risk? How can a general manager assist in minimizing these risk components? IT Project Discussion Question Help
5. Lego’s Mindstorms Robotics Invention System was designed for 12-year-olds. But after more than a decade of development at the MIT Media Lab using the latest advances in artificial intelligence, the toy created an enormous buzz among grown-up hackers. Despite its stiff $199 price tag, Mindstorms sold so quickly that store shelves were emptied two weeks before its first Christmas in 1998. In its first year, a staggering 100,000 kits were sold, far beyond the 12,000 units the company had projected. Seventy percent of Mindstorms’
early customers were old enough to vote. These customers bought the software with the intention of hacking it. They wanted to make the software more flexible and powerful. IT Project Discussion Question Help They deciphered Mindstorms’ proprietary code, posted it on the Internet, began writing new advanced software, and even wrote a new operating system for their robots. To date Lego has done nothing to stop this open source movement, even though thousands of Lego’s customers now operate their robots with software the company didn’t produce
or endorse and can’t support. The software may end up damaging the robot’s expensive infrared sensors and motors.30
a. What are the advantages of Lego’s approach to open sourcing?
b. What are the disadvantages of Lego’s approach to open sourcing?
c. How should Lego manage the open source movement?
APA Paper Formatting Basics
- All text should be double-spaced.
- Use one-inch margins on all sides.
- All paragraphs in the body are indented.
- Make sure that the title is centered on the page with your name and school/institution underneath.
- Use 12-point font throughout.
- All pages should be numbered in the upper right hand corner.
For IT Project Discussion Question Help please click here