Please complete the following discussion question below and Make sure to cite your quote in MLA style. Review the following quotes from the article “From Technological Autonomy to Technological Bluff: Jacques Ellul and Our Technological Condition” in the Learning Materials.
“A technological society, Ellul reasoned, begets autonomous technique, a condition in which technology’s values drive technology, and following from this technology will determine the rest of society…Ellul theorized that once human beings enter the technological society (our current situation), technology is not controlled by anything.” “While the means–the technologies–become ever more complex…Goals such as freedom or wealth are seldom questioned, but it is often unclear what these mean, for whom, and at what cost. The focus is on extending the means of development, pursuing new technologies. Goals are given such content as will the technological means available. Thus “success” becomes not a state of flourishing but as acquiring more possessions. “educated” no longer connotes wisdom but possessing measurable and marketable skills.” “We now generally, if sometimes grudgingly, accept new technology. This is the case even when it creates new difficulties, when it raises profound ethical questions, when it might work less well, or when it exacts greater demands than previous technologies.” “Through advertising of particular devices or propaganda for acceptance of technologies in general, the marketing of technology persuades the public to accept new technologies. This process denies that technologies are simply freely chosen by the public in the marketplace and emphasizes the ability of advertising to sell the technologies to the public.” Technological Autonomy
Choose one of these quotes and do the following: Technological Autonomy
1. Place the quote at the top of your post.
2. Paraphrase the quote in your own words. Please see tips on paraphrasing here .
3. Discuss how it relates to your relationship with technology in your everyday life OR why you disagree with something in the quote.
4. Use at least one or two specific examples from your life or our culture to illustrate your points.
5. Use at least one additional quote from this article in your discussion.
6. Make sure to cite your quote in MLA style.
For Technological Autonomy Discussion Help please click here