1.3 Discussion: Leader – Follower Behaviors and Crisis Leadership
Have you ever been in a situation where something dramatic or traumatic was happening in your organization and the leader needed to act quickly or decisively, but didn’t? One of the most challenging moments in leadership comes during crises events.
This discussion will give you the opportunity to better understand leadership (and non-leadership!) in times of crisis and its impact on organizational behavior.
After viewing the video, you will engage in a discussion that demonstrates why leaders need to understand the organization and how their behavior can either damage or support it during a time of crisis. Crisis Leadership
Upon successful completion of this discussion, you will be able to:
- Determine what are the appropriate behaviors for leaders during crisis.
- Analyze action from non-action and the results that follow.
- Examine the importance of leadership transparency in the organization.
Crisis Leadership Background Information
Leadership is not just needed in times of crisis. However, examining leadership during times of crisis can bring to the surface key ideas needed for leadership even when things seem to be going well. Actually, sometimes when things are going well, leaders and organizations become complacent and rest in their “good performance,” ignoring the need to continue learning, adapting, and changing. Studying important leadership qualities during times of crisis will help you develop some effective practice and principles for leadership for all times. Remember, leadership (or the leadership system) is more than just the leader. Leadership implies the leader, follower, context, and the common purpose that all serve.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- View the YouTube video, Crisis management: a day like any other.
- Provide an initial post (250-300 words) by Day Four that addresses the following questions. Be sure to include at least two sources other than your assigned course materials to help inform your discussion posting and responses. Address the following prompts:
- Provide a brief example (no more than 150 words of your post) of a time when one of your leaders did (or did not) respond well to a time of crisis. What was the crisis? What did the leader do? Not do? What was the impact on the organization? People? (feel free to change names of characters if needed to protect identities or confidentiality). Crisis Leadership.
- Based on your experience (your example), the video, and other resources, what are 1 – 2 important principles or practices that leader need to understand or about how their behavior can damage or support an organization during a time of crisis? How would these lessons apply to leaders if the organization is not in (obvious) crisis?
For Crisis Leadership Assignment Help please click here